Update: It turns out this is a late-1800s vintage #5 round belt lathe by W.F. & J. Barnes. Holy cow! I'm still planning to restore it as a working lathe, but may go for a more original restoration (basically using black paint instead of gray). :)
Notice I've changed the page title to reflect that this is, truly, an antique.
I found a well-worn machinist's lathe at a junk dealer. His price was VERY fair, given the condition. At $100 I figured it was worth the risk:
It will take some TLC to get it into working condition. At the least I expect to:
Antique Metal Lathe
Haven't updated this in a while. This project got back-burnered due to other priorities like a new Beetleweight, fence for the yard, birth of my first child, etc. Mostly I've been amassing parts in the meantime. Found a cool industrial lathe table on Craigslist for $25 (bonus: came with some wood-turning tools for my wood lathe project) and got a couple of link-belts from Harbor Freight.
The last major piece of the puzzle is I just ordered this tool post from Grizzly. It's basically the same Chinese-import quick-change tool post sold by a bunch of other vendors, but it's the only one packaged with a drill chuck that fits the boring bar holder. I'm hoping it will work as an alternate to a tail stock drill chuck, at least in the short(er) term. Why? Because my tail stock has a Jarno taper and, best I can tell, no one makes drill arbors with a Jarno taper any longer. Maybe, just maybe I can machine one later on down the road, but I want to be able to center-drill now.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed I can machine the T-nut to fit my cross-slide...
Click through for a higher-rez version. I'm ready now to start "installing" it, i.e., make some sort of a bench for it that incorporates the drive motor and pulley. It also needs lubrication and, presumably, some fine adjustment.
I opted to not re-paint the steady rest. It appears to have not gotten a lot of use over the years and was in pretty good shape, no rust, etc.
At least, that's what some guys at Practical Machinist claim. The scoop:
I tackled this today. Disassembled the headstock and cleaned most of the small parts using mineral spirits. LOTS of grime!
Some pics and notes:
One thing I discovered is that this lathe does in fact have a power feed. That's what the three gears to the far left are for; there is a small lever to the right of those gears that engage the power feed. An experienced machinist would have figured this out immediately. I'm not one of those. (Originally, before I'd had time to investigate, I thought those gears were simply stored on the side and were manually swapped out with the main gears to change speeds.)
I don't have a good picture of it, but the 3-way V-belt pulley on the main shaft is neither press-fit nor keyed to the shaft. It actually would, normally, free rotate around the shaft.
Left side of the headstock, showing the power feed gears.
Shot of the main shaft and clutch (?) shaft with the top cover removed (the part askew to the right). The clutch's shaft had to be tapped out with a pin punch before the main shaft could be removed. Note that the main shaft runs inside a brass bushing, not a bearing. Is this another sign of advanced age, or is this typical of lathes in this size? I confess I'm surprised by this.
After a bit of searching, it may well be a vintage Barnes lathe. It seems newer than all the models I see discussed online, but the general style of bed and gearbox make me think it's one of their models. It's possible it's an early model that's been adapted for motor use, but I doubt it.
If it is a Barnes, this could be a lathe from the 50s or 60s.
The chuck and gearbox. All the gears turn and the chuck jaws move in and out.
Tailstock. The handwheel turns and adjusts the dead center with no problem. You can see a good deal of rust on the bed here.
Carriage. Both handwheels turn, though the carriage handwheel is still pretty tight. Some surface rust on the T-slot.
1-6 of 6